About Our Greens
Are Dream Greens Organic?
Not yet! The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the government body that oversees organic certifications, has been inconsistent in its evaluation of soilless methods of farming. We meet all criteria for organic certification. In fact, we go further by being more land and water efficient, and by using methods that do not contribute to any kind of dangerous run off.
What is the best way to store Dream Greens?
Please store Dream Greens in your refrigerator in the package they are sold in with the peel-and-reseal film firmly sealed.
Who grows Dream Greens?
Dream Greens are grown by the sustainable indoor agriculture company, AeroFarms. Learn more here.
Where do Dream Greens grow?
Dream Greens are grown on multiple urban, indoor vertical farms in New Jersey. These farms are owned and operated by the sustainable agriculture company AeroFarms.
how we grow our greens
Are Dream Greens genetically modified?
Nope! Dream Greens are grown from 100% non-GMO seeds.
What is vertical farming?
Vertical Farming refers to farming in many levels stacked vertically to maximize the amount of produce that can be grown in one area. Learn more at www.aerofarms.com.
Don’t plants need sun?
In fact, no. Plants don’t need sun, they need particular combinations of the sunlight’s spectrum – certain frequencies of light. By providing just the frequencies they need, using LED lights, the plant grows more efficiently. We also use spectrum to adjust aspects like color, flavor, and texture.
Don’t plants need soil?
They don’t actually. Plants need water and nutrients – which are traditionally stored and provided by soil. As commercial agriculture has strained to produce enough food for our growing population, the soil has become taxed to the point of becoming toxic in some cases. We use a post-consumer recycled, reusable cloth to hold the greens and separate the leaves from the roots. Then we create a mist environment consisting of water and nutrients – misting exactly what the plants need when they need it. Then we filter and recirculate the water and nutrient solution. Our plants receive all the benefits of soil, with none of the risk.
What measures is Dream Greens by AeroFarms taking regarding COVID-19?
As we continue to monitor COVID-19 (coronavirus) developments, we want to emphasize the importance of taking care of ourselves, our loved ones, and our customers. As a food producing company, we believe we have a greater societal obligation to feed people particularly during these times of need when we see empty food shelves at the markets.
We want to take a moment to acknowledge the hero’s work that our selling partners are doing, staying open, and ensuring access to food and supplies. We join them with a resolute resolve to continue our farm operations to grow safely, locally, every day of the year.
We especially want to thank our team for their incredible commitment. Thank you, thank you, thank you – only begins to capture the gratitude we have for our team of over 165 people, all aligned with making a positive impact. We are very appreciative of how the team is balancing everything particularly on the home front with family and closed schools. We are proactively working on appropriate coverage strategies to ensure continuity of our farm.
As more information becomes available from the CDC, we will take all appropriate actions, and we wanted to provide you an update on all of the steps that we are already taking.
What We Know
- COVID-19 is not considered to be a foodborne illness, and there is no evidence that it is transmitted through food according to the CDC.
- AeroFarms farms are audited for Good Agriculture Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices, and we have high levels of safety built into our indoor vertical farms with robust food safety standard operating procedures that includes our team members wearing personal protective equipment including hairnet, face cover, safety gloves and glasses, and overcoat. We have elaborate HVAC filtration systems in place with a MERV rating of 17 that is higher than even an operating room.
- AeroFarms Team Members are on the Board of Directors for the Produce Marketing Association and the Controlled Environment Agriculture Food Safety Coalition, and we have open lines of communication with the FDA and CDC for the latest developments.
In addition to our comprehensive food safety procedures, we have enhanced even further our daily activities.
- Closing our facilities to only essential personnel.
- Reminding team members to stay home from work if they are sick.
- Evaluating every team member with an infrared thermometer before accessing our farm.
- Sending home any team member who is symptomatic.
- Implementing heightened sanitation practices that includes making sure surfaces and work areas are being sanitized multiple times every day.
- Installing additional hand sanitation stations.
- Reinforcing our existing training on effective hand washing and the use of personal protective equipment.
- Asking team members who have traveled to impacted areas to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Promoting working from home where possible and limiting face-to-face meetings.
- Equipping our drivers with more sanitation supplies in addition to their practice of replacing their food safety gloves after each delivery.
- Automating Accounting including electronic payment and emailing of invoices.
- Ensuring our supply chain and farming inputs to be able to operate without any interruptions.
Our mission of “growing the best plants for the betterment of humanity” takes on even greater resonance in these times of change and uncertainty. What is unwavering is our deep commitment to maintaining a safe, working environment for our farms so we can continue to serve you, our community, with locally-grown produce.
How are Dream Greens safer than the average packaged salad?
Dream Greens grow indoors in a completely controlled environment. They are tended and harvested with care by carefully trained Dream Team members who wear clean gear including hairnets and gloves, setting a new level of safety, trust and transparency.
Do I need to wash Dream Greens?
Our greens are ready to eat, so no washing is necessary. Our greens are carefully handled by trained Dream Team members with clean gear like hairnets and gloves in a temperature controlled indoor farm. No washing means better taste, quality and convenience for you!
The Dream Team
How do I join the Dream Team?
We post all available positions on the website of our grower AeroFarms.