Dietitian Jessica’s Sneaky Greens Brownies!
By Jessica Serdikoff, RDN CPT
What if I told you that you can make a fudgy, rich brownie packed with fiber, protein, and…greens?! I’ve sampled these little wonders out to dozens of people, from veggie-skeptic customers at the supermarket to professionally trained chefs, and have yet to hear a negative remark. Sound too good to be true? Whip up a batch with the recipe below and see if anyone can guess your secret ingredients!
Makes: 8 brownies I Time: 40 minutes I Difficulty: Moderate
- 1 can low-sodium white beans (like cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped 80% dark chocolate, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 2 cups Dream Greens baby kale
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8×8” glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, puree the beans, 6 tablespoons chocolate, almond butter, kale, maple syrup, and vanilla until completely smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate and press lightly into the batter.
- Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before digging in. Leftovers (if you have any) keep well up to several days in the fridge.
Tips + Notes
- You can also make these using mini muffin tins for individually portioned desserts. One batch yields about 2 dozen mini “muffins.”
- You can use chocolate chips instead of chopped chocolate, but the recipe will be higher in sugar. Avoid over-dulling your knife by pulsing the chocolate in a food processor, rather than chopping by hand.
Jessica Serdikoff is the in-store retail dietitian at Brookdale ShopRite in Bloomfield, New Jersey – one of the first retailers to carry Dream Greens, and proud of it! Stop by her office if you’re in the neighborhood for helpful handouts, product recommendations, and quick tips – and to grab all the ingredients you need to make those deliciously sneaky brownies, of course! Follow Jessica on Instagram at @JessicaRDNCPT.